Self Management B.C trains volunteers and Health professionals how to use self-management support techniques to use when interacting with their patients. They also provide assistance to the families of people with chronic issues and contribute to improving the health of these people.
Volunteer opportunities include:
- Coach for the Health Coach Program
- Leader for the Chronic Conditions Self-Management Program
Better Choices, Better Health Online
This is an online workshop with up to 25 people in it that offers techniques on how to deal with multiple different types of self management issues. It also talks about ways to deal with specific diseases.
Health Coach Program
The Self-Management Health Coach Program is a free, telephone-based coaching program to support people living with chronic conditions to become better self-managers.
Tool Kit for Active Living
This kit is for learning how to manage the physical and emotional impact of living with chronic conditions can be challenging. It is also offered over calls.
Virtual Self-Management Programs
The program gives you the skills to coordinate all the things needed to manage your health, as well as help you keep active in your life and relationships.
- Coach for the Health Coach Program: provides support by telephone for 30 minutes once per week for 3 months
- Leader for the Chronic Conditions Self-Management Program: virtually delivering health education using an evidence-based scripted program (2.5 hours per week for 6 weeks)
- Learn techniques and strategies you can use in your life
- Learn facilitation skills
- Share in other people’s successes
- Training and ongoing support with from staff will be provided
- Open to new ideas
- Responsible, respected, and trustworthy
- Committed to helping others
- Willing to listen and to learn new skills
- Proficient in speaking and reading English
- Committed to the philosophy of the program