The Langley Heritage Society preserves and fosters conservation of Langley’s heritage resources for present and future generations. They aim to acquire, restore, and preserve structures of architectural or historic value. Their goals also include to advocate for the preservation of historic and cultural landscapes, and to educate the public on Langley’s rich history.
Current volunteer opportunities include:
- HO Model Railway Enthusiast
- Railcar Volunteer
- Railway Research Volunteer
- Railway Station Volunteer
- Volunteer Event Photographer
- Volunteer Handyperson
- Volunteer Living History Animator
- Volunteers who enjoy meeting new people, sharing stories, and learning things about Langley’s history are encouraged to volunteer at Langley Heritage Society!
- There are many volunteer opportunities for anyone to help out in, including helping interpret the Fort Langley CNR Station, assisting at special events, and maintaining the heritage properties.
- Year round volunteer opportunities are available, as well as opportunities when the heritage CNR Station is open (May long weekend until Thanksgiving weekend).
- HO Model Railway Enthusiast: Operate, interpret, and maintain an HO model electric railway layout.
- Railcar Volunteer: Share/listen to train journeys with visitors, punch train tickets, and explain fine dining on the rails. Volunteers must be comfortable speaking with new people and sharing knowledge.
- Railway Research Volunteer: Research topics related to the Fort Langley CNR Station.
- Railway Station Volunteer: Help visitors interpret the building and artifacts, and share knowledge and history.
- Volunteer Event Photographer: Take photos of special events and volunteers in the railway station garden, depot, and rolling stock during weekends/holiday Mondays.
- Volunteer Handyperson: Help maintain the gas speeder, velocipede, rolling stock, and the heritage railway station and grounds.
- Volunteer Living History Animator: Dress in period costume and demonstrate activities from the 1920s. Roles include a lineman, train conductor, and the station agent’s family.