The Fort Langley National Historic Site is part of a nation-wide family protected by Parks Canada. The site showcases where Hudson’s Bay Company fur traders mingled with California gold prospectors, as well as how First Nations interpreters tell century-old tales. Many family-friendly activities are offered, including panning for gold and dressing up are historic characters.
Many volunteer opportunities include:
- Bread Baker
- Costume Assistant
- Costume Mascot
- Event Photographer
- Farm Animal Assistant
- Grounds Assistant
- Library Assistant
- Living History Animator
- Parking Attendant
- Promotional Outreach Assistant / Village Greeter
- Social Media / Marketing Assistant
- Volunteer Newsletter Editor
Dedicated individuals are needed to create lasting memories and amazing experience for visitors of the Fort Langley National Historic Site. There are a variety of roles, duties, and experiences!
- Blacksmith: Demonstrates blacksmithing techniques and abilities on the coal forge.
- Bread Baker: Demonstrates use of outdoor bake-oven, bake bannock over open fire, and tell visitors about food prep.
- Costume Assistant: Performs alterations and general repairs to costumes.
- Costume Mascot: Dresses up in the mascot costume.
- Event Photographer: Collaborates with Promotions Officer to decide on shot list and take photos.
- Farm Animal Assistant: Tends to the animals to maintain a comfortable and clean environment for them.
- Fire Pit Assistant: Tends to the bonfire during special events to ensure safety of guests.
- Gardener: Takes care of the plants in the demonstration garden, orchard, and the rest of the grounds.
- Greeter: Welcomes the public and provides directions and event information.
- Grounds Assistant: Takes care of the plants in the orchard and on the grounds.
- Library Assistant: Helps organize and catalogue the collection of library books.
- Living History Animator: Shares the history of the site with guests.
- Parking Attendant: Directs traffic to park in the parking lot/designated parking area.
- Promotional Outreach Assistant/Village Greeter: Attends outreach events and assists a staff member while promoting the site and handing out brochures.
- Social Media/Marketing Assistant: Uses digital communication, social media, and photography to share Fort Langley’s history.
- Volunteer Newsletter Editor: Create a monthly volunteer newsletter to make sure all volunteers are connected.