Sign me up!
For seniors and seniors groups in Langley, you can sign up to receive cards by simply filling out a form. We will then organize students and volunteers to create cards and deliver them to you.
About the Program
- Our goal is to deliver cards to over 3,000 seniors three times a year: Valentine’s Day, Spring Cards and Winter Cards. We also plan to continue to send out cards out to all our vets around Remembrance Day too!
- We raise funds through grants, donations and sponsorships to provide all the supplies to participating schools and youth groups.
- We coordinate volunteers to help with organizing cards to be drop off at schools and youth groups, then again to sort the picked up cards to be delivered to senior facilities.
- We manage the list of seniors that will receive the cards, and ensure all cards are delivered.
- We continue to improve on our program and add more options.
- Groups are able to submit their own art work to be printed on cards!
- Each participating group will receive a sign-up sheet to tell us what types of cards and how many of each they need.
- The available card kits are:
- A – Blank postcards to decorate and write in.
- B – Pre-printed postcards to write in (no decorating needed)
- C – Colouring postcards students can colour.
- Each card order comes with:
- Inspiration sheet with ideas to decorate and also for the message itself. Inspiration sheets and instructions will be emailed to each teacher for printing.
Want to support this program?
We are looking for the following groups to help us with the Cards for Seniors program:
Langley schools or youth groups/clubs interested in making cards for seniors!
Langley groups who care for seniors and want our youth to make them cards!
Email us to get your seniors group on our card list!
Business sponsors to help cover the costs for one of the four card occasions!
Volunteers to help make card kits, pickup/drop off cards, and mail cards!
Individuals who want to donate to support this program!
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about our program.
Proud Supporters & Sponsors
How ‘Caring Cards for Seniors’ started
The isolation caused by COVID-19 has affected so many people in our community especially our seniors. To help during this difficult time, the Langley Volunteer Bureau has partnered with Langley Schools to have students create personalized cards that are mailed or delivered to seniors in Langley. Students of all ages, either made or added a message to a card for a senior. So far all the caring cards have been well received by our senior community.
Bringing Joy to Langley Seniors! Our first Cards for Seniors Program.
At Christmas 2021 over 650 seniors received personalized cards from students from two elementary schools, a middle school and high school in Aldergrove. The seniors included Aldergrove Legion members, local senior centre members, a seniors care facility, two senior apartment buildings and a seniors low income complex.
For Valentine’s Day cards were sent to the same seniors that received the cards for Christmas in addition to senior clients of Langley Meals on Wheels and Langley Seniors Resource Centre. Students from R.E. Mountain Secondary also joined the ‘Cards for Seniors’ project for Valentine’s Day.
Our program now delivers over 10,000 cards completed by over 50 classroom and delivered to over 30 senior facilities!
Our senior clients absolutely loved it!Shannon Woykin, Executive Director of Langley Meals on Wheels
We are in discussions with our school liaison to increase the number of Langley schools participating in ‘Cards for Seniors’ and we are hopeful to greatly increase our reach to seniors in both the City and Township of Langley and provide cards that are designed by students four times a year – Remembrance Day, Christmas, Valentine’s Day and Easter.
Many older adults live alone and feel isolated. These cards are one small way to reach them and brighten their day.Anthony Kupferschmidt, Executive Director of Langley Senior Resources Society